Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Farmers Market: a beautiful hidden gem of the world!!!

So, for my first cultural event of the semester I went to Provo's Farmers Market.  And let me tell you, that place is AMAZING!  I don't think you could find so many different cultures of crafts and food jammed together in such a small place anywhere else! 
There were so many interesting booths.  There was something there for everyone: Crafts, Music, Homemade soaps made of goats milk, (i never knew that even existed! haha) and my favorite part... the food! 

There were soooooo many wonderful smells! From middle eastern cuisine, to thai food, mexican food, and tropical drinks there! Basically I wanted everything that I saw, and that was ok because every stand had samples!  I sampled a smoothie stand, a salsa stand, a woodfire pizza oven, and a plum b-b-q sauce.  But in the end I got an egg role at the thai food stand for 50 cents... it was served in a small amount of red sweet sauce which made it delicious! And then my appetite was drawn to a taco stand that served tacos for $1.50.  These tacos were fantastic! They reminded me of authentic taco's from mexico... very similar to ones that I ate when I went on a cruise down to Mexico a long time ago.  I next stopped at the salsa stand and bought a quart of mild homemade salsa! I am so excited to get some chips and snack on that over the next week! The last thing I bought was a homemade pineapple drink to have with my taco. All in all I spent $9.00 and was completely stuffed full of deliciousness! 

I saw a girl on the sidewalk playing her violin for the crowds that walked by.  She had her violin stand open and people were tossing one dollar bills into it to show her their appreciation for her musical talent.  That is so neat that she has the confidence to play her music in front of all those people like that.  I play the guitar and it is hard for me to have the confidence to play and sing for others.  

I was amazed by all of the talented people that were there selling their arts and crafts.  It was fun to see all of the different talents that can be found just in Utah!  And who knows... maybe i'll get out there with my guitar sometime and try my luck with the crowds at the Farmers Market!

1 comment:

  1. wow. I'm glad you had a good experience! The eggrolls and shrimp rolls that that lady has are my favorite. She even gives me extra for being such a good customer :)

    ReplyDelete