Saturday, July 11, 2009

3rd week in class...

One of the things that I love about our class recently is that we are learning things that I feel I can use in my daily life. The things that I have enjoyed most are learning the different symbols that are in works of art. These symbols are everywhere! And its so much fun to know that and to look at pictures now... because I feel I can understand their meaning so much easier! My favorite symbols have been the greek myths... the gods... and its also fun to learn the religious symbols as well.
Something that I have used a lot since we talked about it in class is identifying different pillars on buildings! haha I have been so surprised at how many times I have seen pillars that are styled after the greek or roman ones! For example, this last weekend I went to my best friends wedding in Salt Lake City and on the way down we saw a christian church that had Doric pillars on the outside! haha I made sure to point them out for the people that were riding with in the car and they were pretty impressed... it was fun to show off for them! Another place where I saw them was at the Thanksgiving Point Gardens. Those gardens are AMAZING and in one part they have a little hill that has 4 ionic pillars on the top of it. haha I made my fiance walk to that hill with me so I could get a picture of them! haha

here is a picture of those pillars... its not the one that I took... but as soon as I can get my picture loaded onto my computer I'll switch the pictures out!

I have also enjoyed our little quizzes in class... which sounds weird because who really likes quizzes... but these quizzes are things that we can use later! One day when I travel to Europe I will be able to look at different chapels and know when they were built, or why they were built. Its fascinating to learn the facts behind why a building is built the way that it is and what the people who built it were trying to do. I especially like how different chapels create a different affect in the worshiper, like how gothic chapels make the worshiper look up. That is so cool that each different era of architecture had a specific goal that they were trying to accomplish in their building.

I just love when I can use the things that I learn in daily life... I am going to be a teacher one day and that is what I most want to teach my students to do... is to use the things that they learn! It makes life so much more fun when you learn things enough to actually understand them and point them out to others. I do this a lot with science... I learned the constellations so that I could look at the sky and understand its stories and patterns... I truly enjoy understanding the world around me and why it is the way that it is, and so far Humanities has really helped me to understand things better! I didn't think that i would learn as much as I have so far, but I am truly enjoying myself and I hope that I can continue to use what I learn in my daily life!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree that these things are useful. Whenever my family drives places I watch out for the things we've learned about. I seriously have seen so many pilars recently. In fact, we were watching Harry Potter tonight and right in the middle of the movie, I was saying stuff like 'that's an ionic column', and 'the inside of Hogwarts is gothic looking.' It's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree that what we're learning will be useful. I've tied a lot of things into what I'm really interested in, which goes to show that a completely limited, tunnel-vision education probably isn't the best kind. I really like being able to look at architecture or a piece of art and understand it more, rather then just brushing it off as unimportant or meaningless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do agree with all these great comments but i wish we had more time to go over these things. i guess that is the price you pay for taking it in summer but we are getting a great start. so when i do travel and see some of these things i will have a little background information which will make my experience that much better.

    ReplyDelete